Bromley Common and its Schools

Home

horizontal rule

Up
History
Rob Barnes
Where?

Local and School History

Local History
Until its enclosure in 1821, Bromley Common was an area of common land to the south-east of the prosperous market town of Bromley. There were a few farms and houses close to its boundaries but nobody living or farming on the common itself. 

Following the enclosure, the area was developed for housing and agriculture. Within twenty years, the population had grown to about a thousand and they had a school and a church: Bromley Common had become a village. It continued to grow, particularly in the 1870s and the 1930s.

To find out more, click the link.

Local History

School History
In 1837, two small cottages on the Westerham Turnpike were converted into the Bromley Common Infant School.  Nine years later, the school was described as dark, damp and dilapidated: it was also grossly overcrowded. The pupils moved to a new school next to the church.

In 1935, the children moved again, to the adjacent Princes Plain site. In 1944, the new school survived major damage caused by a V1 flying bomb but there was a third move in 1984 when the neighbouring senior girls school closed.

To find out more, including extra stuff on Victorian education, click the link.

 School History

Image of Holy Trinity and the Bromley Common Schools in 1861
The Bromley Common National School next to Holy Trinity Church in 1861.


If you want the maximum number of pictures of the school and Bromley Common with the minimum amount of text, follow the History pictures link below.

Local History School history History pictures