Bromley Common and its Schools
the common:- The area was mostly common land until it was enclosed in 1821.
the Parish Cottages:- They housed the Bromley Common Infant School for a while but they were originally built in 1823 for poor people to rent.
robbery on the common:- John Evelyn, the diarist, was robbed as he crossed the common in 1652: - a full report by the man himself.
another robbery on the common:- A report from The Times. In 1798, a reward of £200 was offered for information leading to the apprehension and conviction of a highwayman who robbed the post-boy as he crossed the Common.
Mrs Norman was robbed as she returned to her home by Bromley Common 200 years ago.
Holy Trinity Church:- A short history.
the squire:- The Norman family were the biggest land-owners in the area but they also had connections with the City and the Bank of England.
the roads:- How some of the roads in the Bromley Common area got their names.
the census:- Entries from the 1851 census for the squire, the vicar and the school master.