Princes Plain -
In the oldest street
directories, Brewery Lane was called Princes Plain. After the
brewery was built in the early 1880s, only the four oldest cottages, up a side alley,
kept the name. Later, that side alley became known locally as
Dog Kennel Alley although it is
officially part of Brewery Lane.
The road we now know as Princes Plain was
one of the roads built after the enclosure of Bromley
Common in 1821. The Enclosure Map (c1826) marks it as The Princes
Plain Road but in all the street directories before 1928, it was known
as Rushey Road, probably because of the rushes growing in the drain
by the side of the road. When the road was developed in the late
1920s, it was renamed Prince’s Plain in the directories. (The OS map
of 1909 was already using the name.)
The apostrophe is not used now.
Princes Plain, came from the nearby field of that name.
There is some doubt as to how the field got its name but one popular
story goes back to 1812 when it was levelled to make a
cricket pitch. The members of the cricket club were in the Plough
Inn, considering a name for the new ground, when the Prince of Wales,
the future George IV, rode by. The field was named in his honour.
Another story is that the field was already called Prince’s Plain
after an earlier Prince of Wales (Frederick, son of George II) who
attended race meetings at Turpington Farm (see below) in the eighteenth
Bromley Common/Hastings Road/A 21 See the
Church Lane - It
was built as part of the enclosure of Bromley Common in 1821 and
called First Common Road on the enclosure map. It became
known as Church Lane after Holy Trinity Church was built in 1841.
Turpington Lane -
Turpington Farm is at the end of the lane where it joins
Southborough Lane; opposite the library. It dates back to the
fourteenth century. Horse races were held there in the eighteenth
century. The farm is long gone but the house remains (see picture). Before being
called Turpington Lane, the road was called Slough Lane after a farm
at the other end of the road.
Jackson Road -
This road lead to a small hamlet called Skim Corner that was just
outside the Common. Some of the pre-1821 houses still stand.
was known as Skim (or Skym) Corner until a Mr Jackson agreed to a
change of name towards the end of the Victorian era. He owned the
general shop and post office on the corner of Hastings Road and much of the land
further down the road. Part of the road continued to be called Skym
Corner for many years after the rest became Jackson Road. The link at the bottom
of the page is to memories of the road and its inhabitants in earlier times.
The Coppice Estate
- On early maps, this area was New Wood Coppice. A
coppice is an area of trees that have been cut off near the ground
and allowed to continue growing. The result is a lot of thinner
stems that are good for making fences. Some of the roads on the
estate take their names from trees, a reminder of the past.
Cherry Orchard Road -
On the 1865 map, this was Plough Lane, perhaps
because it joined the main road by the Plough Inn. Both the road
and the inn were appropriately named because, just behind the inn,
was the village smithy. On the other side of the lane was Plough
Pond with two ramps for horse drawn traffic to enter and leave
the water, perhaps so they could be washed.
See link below.
Gravel Road - It
got its name from the gravel pit between Gravel Road and Oakley
Road. The gravel was used to make the new roads built after the
enclosure. The hole left by excavation has since been grassed over
to make a recreation area.
Lower Gravel Road -
On the enclosure map of 1826, it is called Scrubs
Road because it leads to an area of the Common called Lower Scrubs.
Lennard Road was part of Lower Gravel Road until 1935.
Lennard Road -
On the enclosure map (c1826) this was Clay Road. Clay Farm, to the
south of the road, was sold in 1985 and developed for housing. In
the street directories, this road was part of Lower Gravel Road and
only became Lennard Road in about 1935. Locally, it was known as
Hospital Road because it led to the Bromley and Beckenham Joint
Hospital for infectious diseases. The first hospital here was
opened in 1885. In its early years, it was so busy in times of
epidemics that they had to put some patients into tents.
The postcard below shows Bromley Common
Sanatorium in 1913. Most of the patients would have had tuberculosis.
There was no cure. The only treatment was fresh air, good diet and light
labour. Half those entering sanatoria were dead within five years.
The sanatoria for the poor resembled prisons. This was obviously for the
more affluent. Remember, there was no National Health Service.
Bromley Common Sanatorium, 1913. It is believed that
it was replaced by the building below in the 1920s.
1960, there was no longer a need for an isolation hospital following the
development of antibiotics so it became a geriatric hospital known as the
Lennard Hospital. This closed in 1984.
Lennard Hospital after it closed in 1984.
The site has now been cleared and developed for new
housing. Further along the road was a smallpox hospital built in
1907. For many years, it was hardly used, smallpox was becoming
uncommon in this country. Ten or twenty years earlier, it would
have been useful.
The road was probably named after an influential
Sir John Lennard was chairman of the Farnborough
Workhouse towards the end of the 18th century.
Rookery Lane -
This is the short road leading to Bromley College of Further and
Higher Education. The main home of the Norman family stood here
until it was destroyed by fire in 1946. It was named the Rookery
sometime in the middle of the 19th century, presumably after a
nearby colony of rooks, a rookery.
Cross Road -
This was once known as Workhouse Road owing to its closeness to
Workhouse Field. This was land set aside in the 1821 enclosure of
the Bromley Common for the building of a new parish workhouse. The
workhouse was never built. Instead, Bromley joined forces with a
number of other parishes to build a large workhouse at Locks
Bottom. In time, this became Farnborough Hospital.
Cottage Road -
Most of the homes down this road are marked on the OS map of 1909
but a small group at the end were built in the late 1960s. Their
owners built them themselves as a co-operative group (Vanbrugh
Housing.) Previously, the land had been an orchard; two of the
original cottages were demolished to provide access.
Barham Close and
Barham Court -
They were named after Barham House
and its first occupants, the Barham family. Barham House was on Hastings Road, just behind where
Barham Court is now.
Daerwood Close -
A misspelling of Dearwood, derived from the names of the developers
who built the road in the 1930s (Mr Dear and Mr Cristwood.)